Saturday, December 26, 2009

Baked Fried Chicken




This is the easiest and *tastiest* fried chicken I have ever found!

What caught my eye about this recipe, is that it DOES NOT require a cast iron pan (which I don't have).  Can I share a secret?  I am terrified of using cast iron because it's totally different than cooking in regular pans.  I used to be afraid of pie crust and now we're friends, so maybe next year I'll make nice with the cast iron.



Most kitchens will have all the ingredients required to make this:  milk, flour, salt, pepper, ground mustard, thyme, ginger, oregano, paprika and eggs.

for the recipe

I buy a whole chicken and ask the butchers to cut it into fryer pieces for me, which they are happy to do.  Once I mix the spices together, I set up my "dredging station". 



One at a time, dip the chicken pieces in the egg and then coat liberally with the flour and spice mixture.  Carefully set them down in the heated oil and brown about 3 minutes on each side.  Only brown 4-5 pieces at a time as not to crowd the pan.  When they are brown, move them to a greased 9x13 dish. 

**Side note** How do you know when your oil is ready? I take a pinch of the flour mixture and toss it into the oil. When it hisses back at you, it's ready.







After all the chicken is browned, bake at 350 degrees 50-60 minutes.

Whenever I make fried chicken, I always serve it with cornbread.  I have been asked for my cornbread recipe more times than I can count!

for the recipe



First I heat up the oil for the chicken, as it takes awhile.  Then I start on the cornbread.  While that's baking, I fry up the chicken.  Right when the cornbread's done, the chicken is ready to go in the oven.  While the chicken in cooking, I prepare the other side dishes.  This way, everything comes up at once.  Tonight the menu consisted of potato salad, corn on the cob, baked beans, corn bread and apple pie for dessert.



So easy and so delicious! Often times, I double the recipe and we have friends over for dinner.  You can never go wrong with this fried chicken!


5 comments:

  1. oh i m getting hungry just looking at these

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been afraid to make fried chicken cause I don't want to get hot grease splattered on me, but your recipe looks easy enough. I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi

    I was wondering did you coat the chicken before you heated up the oil and let the coating sit until the oil was hot or did you heat oil first and coated chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jackie! I heated up the oil first, and then I started coating and frying the chicken. I'm sure it would work just the same if you coated all the chicken at once while waiting for the oil to heat!

    ReplyDelete