Sunday, November 1, 2009

Macaroni & Cheese




When I asked my husband what he wanted for dinner tonight, he thought for half a second, and said "Oooohhh, make mac and cheese!"

So...I broke out my trusty-can't-go-wrong Martha Stewart cookbook that my mother gave me one Christmas almost 10 years ago.  This cookbook gets used so much (it's my favorite one) that most of the pages have stains on them, and several of the pages have gotten stuck together.




for the recipe


I always read through the entire recipe before I make it. Then I measure out all the ingredients so they are handy right when I need them. As you can see, there's not too many things in this recipe.



One thing necessary for it to turn out well, is GOOD white bread.  The crust on this dish is crunchy, buttery, and fabulous.  I don't think it would be nearly as good if you didn't splurge on the more expensive bread.




You start by making the velvety cream sauce.  Once it's thick and bubbly, remove from heat and add your spices and the cheese.



When the macaroni is ready, rinse, drain and add to the cream sauce.




Once it's mixed together well, add the remaining cheese and top with the buttered bread crumbs.




Bake for 35 minutes until bread crumbs are golden brown.


This makes enough to serve hearty portions to 10-12 people.  It took me 20 minutes to get this in the oven, and 30 minutes to bake it.  We ate this with caesar salad and green beans.  Although a nice glass of cabernet was poured for me, I had to go and get a glass of ice cold milk!



No comments:

Post a Comment