Sunday, October 25, 2009

Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf





When I first ran across this recipe I just knew that I had to try it right away! What sounds better than meatloaf  *wrapped in bacon*?  My mouth was watering just thinking about it!

for the recipe

As with any meatloaf, this was pretty simple and only dirtied a few dishes.  You start with chopping up the onion, celery, garlic and the jalapeno.  Add a little bit of olive oil and cook until veggies are tender.




When they're brown, throw in the salt, nutmeg and cumin.  I would never have thought to add nutmeg and cumin to meatloaf....




Whisk together eggs, milk, bread crumbs and tomato sauce to form a paste.  Then add in vegetables, hamburger and pork sausage.








Pat the mixture into a 9x5 inch loaf pan.  My mom found this pan for me several years ago... it works wonders with meatloaf, the fat drains right to the bottom through those holes!




Cut up your bacon and lay over the top of the meatloaf.  Make sure the ends are tucked under.






Bake for 75 minutes.  When it's finished, let sit for 10 minutes to firm up.




Doesn't that look like a little bit of love?  I substituted spicy Italian sausage for the regular pork sausage this recipe calls for.  Combined with the jalapeno, it has just the right amount of kick to it!  Just like my mother, I served this with mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans and a tall glass of milk. 

Mmmm, comfort food at it's best!




No comments:

Post a Comment