Sunday, September 13, 2009

Margaritas

Margaritas!




I had my parents over for a small dinner party on Saturday night. The weather was hotter than normal that day and unfortunately, my house heats up like an oven when it's hot out. I had to plan a light meal that didn't require me to be slaving over the stove all day. In thinking about different refreshing drinks I could serve, margaritas seemed to stick with me. So, Mexican food it was!

Since it was a gorgeous Saturday afternoon, I packed up the kids and we went up to the Pike Place Market to get all the produce for dinner.



I was making enchiladas with roasted tomatillo salsa, black bean salad, and yellow rice. I was able to get everything for the dinner except for the chicken here at the market. I brought $60 with me, not knowing how much it was going to cost me. The entire dinner was $12!! The produce at the market is locally grown and much plumper than what you find in the grocery store!


So back to the Margaritas.... This recipe serves 6. It came straight from Mexico, and the keys are to use fresh lime juice and inexpensive tequila. That's right, INEXPENSIVE TEQUILA!!




Kosher salt
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (5 limes)
1 lime, quartered for glass rims
2 Tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice (1 lemon)
1 cup Triple Sec
3 cups ice
1 cup white tequila



If you like margaritas served in a glass with salt, rub the outside rims of six glasses with a cut lime and dip each glass lightly into a plate of kosher salt.




Combine the lime juice, lemon juice, Triple Sec, and ice in a blender and puree until completely blended. Add the tequila and puree for 2 seconds more. Serve over ice.








These margaritas are surprisingly easy to make and they are hands down the best I've ever had. They are very citrusy and light, and a perfect compliment with mexican food for dinner.
At one point, I had run out of fresh limes and lemons. I grabbed some bottled lime juice and bottled lemon juice out of my fridge and made another batch. Although they were still good, it definitely lost something by not using the fresh limes. Note to self: only use fresh limes from now on!


No comments:

Post a Comment