Sunday, September 20, 2009

Pumpkin Pie





It's that time of year again!!

I have a tried and true pumpkin pie recipe that I make every year for Thanksgiving that is absolutely fantastic. Something comes over me every September that makes me want to try out new recipes. Without fail, I am never satisfied with the "new" recipes, and I end up making the ones I have archived away.

This year, I decided to try a recipe for pumpkin pie that is made from roasting small pumkins. I think I have ended my losing streak with new recipes....




I found these small pumpkins outside of Safeway for $1 each. At first I grabbed them to paint and put on my front porch. Then I recalled something I had run across online about roasting pumpkins and making pumpkin pie. That was all it took to get me in the mood for baking a pie!

Click Here
for the recipe

The recipe is very easy, actually. You need to cut off the stem and hollow out the pumpkins, just like you would do if you were going to carve them.


 

Then, you put them face down on a foil lined baking sheet. Cover them up with foil and bake at 350 degrees for and hour and a half.



Once they're done, scoop out the flesh and leave the rind.




One good sized small pumpkin should produce the amount of pumkin needed for the recipe. Mash the roasted pumpkin with a potato masher until it's smooth.




Roll your pie crust out to 12" round, 1/8 inch thick.





Place the pie crust in your dish and poke several times with a fork.




Line the crust with parchment and bake for 15 minutes with the pie weights.




Use the additional pie crust to make your leaf cutouts.




Mix all the ingredients together and pour into prepared shell.





Pumpkin pie needs to cool and set for about 4 hours after it's done baking. After about an hour after you remove it from the oven, put it in the refrigerator to finish cooling and set up.





Pumpkin pie made with canned pumpkin is certainly easier, but this just tastes better!






No comments:

Post a Comment